8 - 10am: Set-up, out-of-towners - bring in your plants!
9 - 10am: Sale open to members only
10am: Sale open to public, Show opens
10 - 11am: Judging - show area being judged is closed
4pm: Show and Sales Close
2018 Winter Show & Sale
Balboa Park, Casa del Prado
February 10, 2018 - 9am - 4pm
Schedule, Awards, and Rules
FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 9, 2018
NOVICE (Fewer than 10 Blue Ribbons won in judged competition. Use GREEN entry cards)
INTERMEDIATE (10+ Blue Ribbons won in judged competition. Use YELLOW entry cards)
OPEN (Vendors and anyone else. Use BLUE entry cards)
NON-COMPETITIVE (Open to anyone who wants to show off a plant. Use WHITE entry cards)
A hand-crafted pot and a certificate suitable for framing will be given to BEST CACTUS, BEST SUCCULENT and BEST WINTER-GROWER plants in the NOVICE, INTERMEDIATE and OPEN Levels, and to the BEST OF SHOW plant (NOVICE or INTERMEDIATE or OPEN)
First, Second, and Third Place Ribbons will be awarded in all categories for both Novice, Intermediate, and Open entrants.
1) Show is open to anyone who grows succulent plants.
2) Entries must be in the possession of exhibitors for at least six months. Plants must be clean, (no weeds or debris), healthy (no insects, disease or pesticide odor) and dry. Plant labels should be removed or hidden. Exhibitors are responsible for placing entry cards with plants prior to judging. The show committee may remove any entry that detracts from or jeopardizes the health of other entries.
3) Plants must be individually potted specimens except for the category ‘Dish Gardens.’
4) Depending on number of entries, prior to judging, the show committee may combine or divide categories and rearrange entries. The show area will be PARTIALLY closed during judging, on a section-by-section basis. Judging will be open to the public. Plants must remain until the end of the show.
5) Entries are judged on:
a) Condition, size, maturity and difficulty of culture: 70%
b) Staging - pot, top dressing, arrangement, cleanliness: 25%s
c) Nomenclature: 5%
Awards are given only if the judges believe they are merited, and all decisions are final.
6) The SDCSS and show committee will take due care to safeguard entries but cannot be held responsible for damage to, or loss of, plants and property.
2017 Best Winter Grower - Advanced
2017 Judge’s Choice
2017 Best Succulent - Novice
Haworthia retusa v.
SATURDAY - FEBRUARY 10, 2018
8am - 10am
9am - 10am
10am - 11am
Set-up, out-of-towners - bring in your plants!
Sale open to members only
Sale open to public
Judging - show area being judged is closed
Show and Sales Close
12pm - 10pm: Set-up
2pm - 9:30pm: Bring in your show plants
12pm - 10pm
2pm - 9:30pm
Bring in your show plants